Thank Goodness It’s Friday! As a kid, I LOVED Fridays. Not only did it mean no school for two days, but there were awesome TV shows every Friday night on the ABC network. Year to year they changed a bit as some were cancelled and new ones were brought in, but for the most part, as a kid, you enjoyed them all.
Today, I think about the things I am thankful for in general. I am no longer a kid. I no longer long to watch TV on Friday nights.
1) I am thankful that I have wonderful siblings. My sister and older brothers have been the most caring and loving siblings I could ever have asked for. We didn’t get along growing up, but they have been there for me through everything as we got older.
2) I am thankful for art. I am not great at it, but it has given me an outlet to express myself.
3) I am thankful for nature. Seeing the life around me allows me to feel alive. The trees and grass that are green and vibrant let me know that my life is growing just as theirs is even if I feel dead inside. When it is storming everyday (as it has been here in Tampa), the sun will peak out a bit, maybe just for 30 minutes, or for one day in between, but it shows me that there is hope during my bad times.
4) I am thankful for NAMI as it has given me connections with other people that struggle with similar things as me. It has given me a social outlet when I all too often isolate myself because of my depression and social anxiety.
5) I am thankful for my dog, who comforted me so much during my severe depression of two years and kept me alive many times because I didn’t want to leave her alone. She cuddled with me and licked my tears when I cried.
At the end of the week, it is good to look back on what I am thankful for. I should be doing it everyday to remind myself, but since I know I don’t do it everyday, writing it down once a week is a good start. What are you thankful for?